Judge Green-Lights Lawsuit Against Federal Health-Care Law
U.S. District Judge Roger Vinson ruled that Florida's lawsuit against the federal government's health-care law can proceed.
Today's ruling was quickly applauded by incoming state Senate President Mike Haridopolos, who said in a statement:
"Im confident, now that Judge Vinson has cleared the lawsuit to go forward, that Florida will prevail on the merits of this case. I realize the U.S. Supreme Court will ultimately decide the outcome, but todays ruling is a positive first step forward."
Vinson, rulling from Pensacola, said the case brought by Florida Attorney General Bill McCollum and 20 other states would continue as scheduled. He had previously set a hearing for Dec. 16.
Haridopolos estimated that Florida would have to spend more than $2 billion in fiscal year 2013-14 under the new federal health-care law.
"Faced with projected budget shortfalls, funding the federal health-care law could threaten other essential government programs," the senator said.
U.S. Rep. Tom Rooney, R-Tequesta, a former constitutional law professor at West Point, also praised Vinson's decision.
Never before has the federal government forced every citizen to purchase a product or service from a private company simply as a requirement of being a citizen.I am confident that as this case moves forward, the courts will recognize that this law is a blatant abuse of the federal governments power, and that it has no basis in the letter or the intent of the Constitution," Rooney said.
Comments are now closed.
