BP Pledges $30 Million to Help Northwest Florida Tourism
On Monday, Gov. Rick Scott announced that BP was sending a $30 million grant to the Northwest Florida Tourism Council (NWFTC) to help promote tourism in that region which was hard hit by the Gulf oil spill last year.
Im pleased that BP is doing the right thing, and Im optimistic that with the assistance of this grant the world will know that Floridas beaches are as beautiful as ever and open for business, said Scott. However, this is just one small step on the road to recovery, and Im going to continue to hold BP accountable to the Floridians and businesses that lost millions of dollars because of the oil spill.
"On behalf of the tourism council, we want to thank BP for helping to ensure Northwest Florida returns to its previous state and continuing to support this region's economic recovery. This grant is over and above what is being allocated through the claims process," said NWFTC Chairwoman Dawn Moliterno. "We believe this additional marketing push will be just what Northwest Florida needs to create that share of voice to showcase that our beaches are as beautiful as ever.
The funds will extend for three years.
BP is very pleased to be working cooperatively with Governor Scott and the state on this road from response to restoration, said Luke Keller, an executive vice president leading BPs Gulf Coast restoration efforts. The agreement we have signed is a further example of BP's commitment to doing what is in the best interest of the state and the people of Florida. Today's announcement brings BP's commitment to Florida to $82 million for tourism and seafood testing and marketing.
Comments are now closed.
