
U.S. Rep. David Jolly, R-Fla., will forego his Senate bid to replace Marco Rubio and instead will run for re-election in CD 13, Jolly announced Friday.
"I have unfinished business," Jolly told reporters in St. Petersburg.
"I believe the opportunity to serve Pinellas County is just as right [as Senate bid]" said Jolly.
Now the Republican congressman will face off against former Gov. Charlie Crist for the seat. Crist announced his campaign last year.
A recent St. Pete Polls survey found Jolly would be very competitive in his re-election bid, holding a slight lead over Crist. Jolly carried 44.3 percent to Crist’s 43.7 percent in that poll.
Jolly's announcement focused heavily on his time serving in the U.S. House of Representatives. VA reforms, the Stop Act and serving the local community were all talking points for the Pinellas County congressman, who has served since 2014.
Jolly was elected to the House for the first time two years ago in a special election where he faced off against former Chief Financial Officer Alex Sink. He was reelected to the position later that year.
This week has been an especially uncertain time in the Florida Senate race, with Rubio mulling over the possibility to run for re-election after all. That possibility opened up after a Sunday shooting in Orlando which left 50 dead and dozens wounded.
Now the field is getting smaller.
Next Friday is the deadline to file to run for office, which means the clock is ticking if Rubio wants to jump in the race.
Last year, Rubio said he would not run for another term in the Senate in order to run for president, but dropped out of the Republican primary in March after losing to presumptive GOP nominee Donald Trump in Florida.
Republicans are telling Rubio he should reconsider his original decision to leave politics behind and become a private citizen instead.
With Jolly out of the race, it is only a matter of time before Rubio makes his own announcement. Jolly said he anticipated Rubio would make an announcement Monday, but said he had not spoken to the Senator about his intentions.
Lieutenant Gov. Carlos Lopez-Cantera said he would also drop out of the Senate race if Rubio wanted back in.
"I am still in this race and nothing has changed. However, if Marco decides to enter this race, I will not be filing the paperwork to run for the U.S. Senate,” he said.
This is a breaking story. Check back for updates.
Reach reporter Allison Nielsen by email at allison@sunshinestatenews.com or follow her on Twitter: @AllisonNielsen.